Back Outstanding individuals receive prestigious BSAVA Awards
The BSAVA proudly presented a total of 19 awards to outstanding individuals at a special Awards Ceremony at BSAVA Congress on Thursday 4th April. The recipients were all nominated by their colleagues, in recognition of their outstanding contributions in the field of small animal veterinary medicine and surgery.
- The Frank Beattie Travel Scholarship: Konstantinos Fontas, a General Practitioner at Companion Care in Peterborough
- The Amoroso Award (sponsored by Hill’s Pet Nutrition): Catriona Bell, a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a National Teaching Fellow.
- The Melton Award (sponsored by Royal Canin): Mickey Tivers, Head of Surgery at Paragon Veterinary Referrals, Wakefield. # The Simon Award (sponsored by Veterinary Instrumentation): Jane Ladlow, Senior Lecturer in Soft Tissue Surgery at the University of Cambridge
- The Woodrow Award: Jonathan Elliot, Professor in Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology and Vice Principal for Research and Innovation at the RVC.
- The JA Wight Memorial Award (sponsored by the Blue Cross): Heather Bacon, who runs international veterinary training projects from the Jeanne Marchig International Centre for Animal Welfare Education at the University of Edinburgh.
- The Blaine Award (sponsored by Royal Canin): Dr Dan O’Neill, Senior Lecturer in Companion Animal Epidemiology at the RVC.
- The Bourgelat Award: Professor Michael E Herrtage, Professor of Small Animal Medicine at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of St. Edmund’s College, Cambridge. PetSavers Award (sponsored by Hill’s Pet Nutrition): Molly Varga, Head of the Exotics Referral Service at Rutland House Veterinary Referrals, St Helens, Merseyside.
- Dunkin Award: Christopher JL Little, The Barton Veterinary Hospital in Canterbury and Dave Dickson, Director at HeartVets, South Wales.
- The Ray Butcher Award: Niall Lester, one of the founders of New Hope Animal Rescue.
- The Bruce Vivash Jones Veterinary Nurse Award: Katherine Howie, Tutor for the Vets Now certificate in emergency and critical care nursing
- Clinical Abstract Awards: Practitioner Award: David Mills who is nearing completion of the CertAVP in Small Animal Surgery and is studying part time for a PhD in the ethics of evidence based veterinary medicine at the RVC.
- Clinical Abstract Awards: Medicine Award: Delphine Le Chevallier, Resident in Anaesthesia and Analgesia at Bristol University. Clinical Abstract Awards: Surgery Award: Andrew Armitage, Partner at Greenside Veterinary Practice, St Boswells, Melrose.
- Clinical Abstracts Awards: Poster Award: Laura Rosewell, Senior Medicine Nurse at The Ralph Veterinary Referral Centre, Marlow.
- Clinical Abstract Awards: Student Award: Emma Gibson, final-year Veterinary Science student at Bristol University
- Clinical Abstract Awards: Clinical Governance Abstract: Claire Roberts who is currently working on a PhD at the University of Bristol, exploring the use and value of quality of life assessment in dogs in veterinary practices and rehoming shelters.
Read more about each winner here. Nominations for the 2020 Awards open in May 2019 and close on 22 September 2019. If you know someone who deserves to win please visit www.bsava.com to register your recommendation.